Thursday, June 23, 2011

Quite possibly the biggest clusterfuck in the history of the franchise: Flyers trade both Mike Richards & Jeff Carter

Mike Richards: Team captain, perennial 20+ goal scorer.... Traded to the Los Angeles Kings for Brayden Schenn (Center), Wayne Simmonds (Right Wing) & their 2012 2nd round pick.

Jeff Carter: The teams top goal scorer, offensive force in the NHL... Traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for the rights to Jakub Voraeck (Right Wing), their 2011 1st round & 3rd round picks.

Arguably, the two best players from the Flyers skipped town in roughly an hour. Now that I've had time to  calm down (a.k.a. hyperventilate into a paper bag), I can understand the Carter trade. Rumors came out about him being moved as soon as the Flyers received the rights to goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, and in return they received exactly what was speculated, so I guess that's not a surprise. But to trade away the leader of the friggin' franchise... Well, that I can't comprehend. The foundation of the fan base was shaken today to its core, and personally I still don't think that the full weight of the trades has set in for me.

It's dumb to think that Ed Snider, Paul Holmgren and the rest of the Flyers brass are done, so the fallout may not be over. I just know that come October, we'll be looking at a completely different team.

No comments: